October 17, 2008

Where did the smallies go?




A couple actions shots from today! This is my friend Stephen; notice he is missing the tip of his rod. Also notice that I am soaked as I tea-bagged the river this morning. These are lame, I apologize, urban angling shots!

I fished twice during this week rather than taking care of work obligations-a sure sign I need to join Fly Fishers Anonymous! I fished during the morning on both occasions and did not witness a follow from a single fish; I fished the same runs and pools that were productive this summer indicating one of two things: (1) the small mouth have transitioned to winter behavior, or (2) the low water conditions have pushed them into different areas. In actuality the culprit is likely a combination of the two as we have had some air temps at 50 deg. F over that last several weeks during the night and very little rain, which is typical for this time of year. I have read that smallies migrate to deep pools, or calm runs during these periods so I focused on a deep plunge pool with no success. This leaves me wondering if they have moved downstream, which is characterized by a broader, slower flow over all. I also joined VCU's Fly Fishing Club this week, so I am anxious to see how social fly fishing compares to my solo pursuit. So far, so good :). One thing is almost clear and that is the fall feeding blitz may have ended...I spent it dealing with surgery. Ah well, I am still kicking! I will make the official call after I receive reports from fellow club anglers and make a few trips out myself next week. A good rain fall is what I hoping for, as I am willing to bet smallies will move back to their normal lays and be active on the subsequent falling limb.

No comments: